Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Cold Puts a Damper on One's Excitement

This week was another dud on the excitement front. It’s too cold and snowy outside to really do anything outdoors, and doing anything inside away from home means a considerable amount of time trekking through the snow and cold to get to said indoor location. So, for the most part this week, I was at work, Korean classes, or home. So, alas, another uneventful week to write about.

My Korean class this semester is a lot more difficult than the last three. I guess I’m getting into the advanced levels and I am expected to speak Korean well. It’s hard. I am trying though. I’ve started keeping a vocabulary notebook next to my computer for when I watch Korean dramas, so I can learn new words. Here are the words I learned from watching dramas this week: miracle, disappear, lover, selfish, precious, enemy, intuition, kidnap, offense, suspect, escape, quit, breath of life, disappointed, and unforgettable…Add the word amnesia to that list and you’ve pretty much got Korean dramas in a nutshell. But oh how I love them.

This Friday we took my kindergartners to a recording studio to record the song they’re going to sing for their parents at the end of the year concert. They have trouble singing loudly when they are dancing, so they recorded them singing and then they will lip sync at the concert in true K-Pop fashion. I’m pretty excited. I’m going to try and sneak some K-Pop dance moves into our Lion King dance and see if anyone notices.

On Saturday night I was supposed to go ice skating with some friends, but we decided that we didn’t feel like it, so instead we went to the board game café. Honestly, Korea has the best entertainment facilities. If you are bored in Korea it’s because you’re too lazy to try to find something to do. In the US, if you’re bored you can watch TV, or go hand out with your friends, which means eating or seeing a movie. However in Korea, when you want to hang out with your friends, you can eat, or see a movie. But, if you don’t want to sit in a theatre full of people to watch a movie, you can go to a DVD room, and watch it in your own personal theatre. If you don’t feel like watching a movie, how about a karaoke room? Singing now your forte? Then why don’t you go to the closest board game café and challenge your friends to a game? I suppose because there are so many people here, they have to think of lots of ways to entertain themselves or they will go insane. I love that they have board game cafes where you can go and sit at a comfy table and play monopoly to your hearts content, surrounded by people who are doing the same thing with their weekend.

On Friday night I wasn’t feeling 100% so I stayed home and made a stop motion K-Pop music video with Ken. It was fun. If you want to watch it I put it on YouTube.
Enjoy! It was so much fun I think I’m going to make another one. So stay tuned. Maybe Ken can break into the K-Pop dance scene…



No comments:

Post a Comment