Monday, February 21, 2011

The Crescendo

The school year escalated to its height this past week with our performance on Tuesday. It was an interesting six very LONG hours. First we had a dress rehearsal, then we shoved all of the children into two tiny rooms with ten already very stressed out teachers, and expected the kids to be quietly amused whilst awaiting their turn on stage. We spent four awful hours in those cramped quarters, with only a short respite to go out on stage and let the kids make fools of themselves in front of their parents. The whole day was like slow semi-organized torture for both the kids and the teachers. I don’t see how it could possible have been enjoyable for the parents either. They had to sit through three hours of kids who were so petrified that they couldn’t talk loud enough to be heard even with the aid of a microphone.

After the performance had finally ended, all of the exhausted staff filed out of the performance hall after handing the children over to their parents. Then instead of getting to go home for a nice rest, we all had to go out for a staff dinner. Which means I spent the evening eating meat and watching my co-workers get progressively more and more drunk, until about 11p.m. when I could stand it no more, and left. I then had to sleep because the next morning I had to wake up at 6:45a.m. in order to go take the analytical writing section of the GRE. I took the test. I don’t think I did very well. I kind of choked on the first essay. I think I did a lot better on the second one. I haven’t written an English essay in years. Now I have four months to study for the other two sections of the GRE, then a terrific graduate school essay to write, and letters of recommendation to find. It’s going to be a long year.

Yesterday I babysat for some really cute kids. They go to church with me. Their mom is Korean and their Dad is American. It was interesting to see how the two cultures mix in a household, and in the kids themselves. The oldest girl was 5 years old, there was a three year old boy and a one year old boy. The 5 year old seems pretty well balanced. She can speak both Korean and English fluently. She speaks English to adults, and Korean to her siblings. The three year old was my favorite. He is very linguistically confused at the moment. He can’t quite tell which language to speak . Luckily I could understand his mix of English and Korean, and he understood my mix of English and Korean. It was a lot of fun being able to speak Korean to the kids. I like speaking to the three year old crowd. That’s about my speaking level, so I didn’t feel like he was judging me.

I also saw an interesting movie yesterday. It’s called Late Autumn or 만추, it’s a Korean film, but it takes place in America and the stars are Korean and Chinese, so they communicate with each other in English. However, the girl talks to her family in Chinese…I don’t speak Chinese, and all of the subtitles were in Korean. I could get the gist of it, but the subtitles were going too fast for me to read them all. But I gleaned enough to understand the film. I don’t think the director meant it to be as funny as we found it, but the English dialogue was definitely funny. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment