Monday, April 11, 2011

Work, Work, Work, with a dash of K-Pop

It always amazes me how quickly time passes in Korea. I suppose because everyone is constantly on the go, there’s not much time for slowing down and enjoying life. By Thursday I will have been in Wonju for a month already. Thursday is also the official two year anniversary of my arrival in Korea. I still find it hard to believe I am here sometimes.

I worked about 48 hours this week, which is going to be my normal apparently. It’s a lot of work, but I’m enjoying it for the most part. I think I even managed to break my bad student. By the end of the week he was behaving much better in class. I get a new batch of students on Monday. Hopefully, I will be able to crack down with them from the start and convince them not to speak Korean in my class. It’s nice for me, I’m getting a lot of listening practice. But their parents are paying ridiculous amounts of money to send them to a private English concentration middle school so that they can practice their Korean.

This week was pretty stressful. I had a lot of planning to do for work, and the people whose job is was to help me, weren’t doing their job. Which was a big headache for me. It’s all over now. Thank goodness. I had to spend all week planning the Sabbath school lesson for Saturday. Which was supposed to be a shared task with me and my group of students. But the teacher in charge of the program never sent my students to see me. Everyday I would ask her to send them to me at lunch, because I didn’t know their homerooms. She said she would do it, and they never came. Finally on Thursday they showed up. By then I had pretty much already planned the entire thing myself.

On Saturday, when school started, we didn’t have the pianist they had promised me would be there, so we had trouble getting the music started, then I couldn’t lead the music because I don’t know any of the songs, so no one knew what was going on. Eventually, we tried to sing a couple of songs, then moved on to the lesson. That part I felt was a success. I can teach, I can lesson plan; that’s what I’m being paid to do. I am willing to teach anything, but I can’t lead a group of children in singing songs about the Savior that I personally feel are extremely irreverent, and somewhat disrespectful. Luckily, I was informed that my somewhat disastrous attempt at a song session has earned the foreign teachers a reprieve from ever having to do song time again! I’m glad I could be of assistance. I feel that Saturday school will be a lot less complicated in the future. Other than song time, I generally enjoy the 2 hours I have to teach on Saturdays. When exam period rolls around and I don’t have to go into work, I’m going to love it even more.

On Wednesday night I had my first tutoring session with a 15 year old girl from church. She really wants to learn French, so I volunteered my somewhat rusty skills. Because I would feel incredibly guilty, and it’s illegal, I refused to let her mom pay me. However, after the session, when it was time to go home, she gave me a bag of seaweed and fruit. I was really excited. I love seaweed and fruit. She also told me next week that she would force me to go home with some kimchi…Yay!!!

This weekend, I spent in Seoul celebrating my birthday. I didn’t really do much. We went to a famous coffee shop where they filmed one of my favorite Korean dramas. Then we had some Indian food, which was delicious. Afterwards, we went to a Noraebang, and pretended we knew all the words to some popular Korean songs, and even a Japanese pop song (Our favorite “One in a Mirrion”). Then we went to a bookstore, and bought some K-pop CDs and I bought a French book, so I don’t feel like such an idiot when I’m tutoring.

Then, after church today, there was a linger longer, which is code for “all of the military families bring American food, and all of the deprived English teachers eat way too much and feel very sick, but very happy for the rest of the day.” All-in-all it was a stressful, but very good week. I’m pretty happy in Wonju. I like the school I’m at and my co-workers. I have a lot of really good students. I might even start doing Hapkido with one of them after school. I am happy. But right now I’m too tired to feel very happy, so I’m going to bed. Have a great week everyone.!

No comments:

Post a Comment