Monday, November 29, 2010

Even North Korea Couldn’t Keep Me From Harry Potter

As anyone who pays any attention to the news whatsoever knows, this was a bit of a rough week for the Korean peninsula. The week was going along as usual until Tuesday. During my afternoon class, I was teaching, and all of the sudden, the power went out for a second and we heard a big bang. I jumped, and all of the students laughed at me. We never did figure out what had caused the short power outage, and the bang, but it set me on edge. After class was finished and I had sent all the children on their way home, I entered the teacher’s lounge to discover all of my coworkers deep in conversation. North Korea had bombed an island of the coast of Incheon.

My co-workers who haven’t been in Korea for very long were really afraid, and one even left early to call her mom. For some reason, despite this being the worst attack since the Korean war, I didn’t feel any fear. I am a bit worried about what’s going to happen in the next few weeks. The whole city is going about business as usual, but everyone is definitely on edge.

This weekend I went out of town with some friends and their friends, and as I was packing for the trip on Friday night. I made sure to include my passport, all of my financial information, and my college diploma, just in case something happened on Sunday before I got back. Luckily nothing has happened as of yet, but it’s a strange feeling having to think about these kind of possibilities. I’ve never checked the news so much in my life. I hope that just like the last major incident in March, everything will quickly return back to normal, and we can all go about our lives again without having to worry about North Korea pulling the trigger.

This past Friday was a very happy day for me. Due to the extreme cruelty of the Harry Potter Release Date planning commission, Harry Potter 7 will not be released in South Korea until December 15th, almost a month after the rest of the world has seen it. I was devastated when I heard this, luckily I have connections. Once the military had released the base from its North Korea imposed lockdown, one of my military friends took us to the theater on the military base, and for only 5 dollars, I got to sit there for 2 and a half hours eating concession stand hot tamales, and watching Harry prance about on screen.

The theatre was filled almost entirely with Americans. It was really weird. I haven’t seen American teenagers in almost two years now, I forgot how annoying they are. It was nice to be able to disappear into a crowd for a few hours, but it reaffirmed that I’m not quite ready to go back to being a full time American yet. I am going to have a very rough readjustment when I get back to the US.

This weekend I went to Namisum, an island in the middle of Bukhankang. It was really pretty with lots of trees and fresh air. There was even some snow blowing around on the ground. We also got the go to La Petite France. It’s this whole little village in the middle of no where that some Korean guy who really loved Le Petit Prince built. There are little statues and buildings dedicated to parts of the book. It’s a really cute place, even if it is pretty odd to find it in the middle of nowhere, South Korea. I went with two friends from my Korean classes and two of their friends from work. There were two Koreans, a French Korean, a Korean-American, and me…an incredibly pale, very non-Asian red-head. It was really fun though. Almost all of the conversation the entire weekend was in Korean, and I managed to hold my own quite well. I was probably the quietest member of the group, but that also had something to do with the fact that I am completely exhausted. I am now going to try to alleviate that problem by going to bed. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment